Wednesday 29 June 2016

Profile-TV Presenter: Geraldine Mandengenda

Geraldine Mandengenda, one of the hosts of popular local youth TV show Y.G.T, says she knew she was destined to be on Television one day.
The Young, Gifted, and Talented (pun intended) granted us this official interview and talked to us about her experiences as a television presenter.

Q. Who is Geraldine?
Geraldine is a girl born and bred in Harare and I’m 22 years old currently studying Bachelor of Arts in media studies. I’m in the broadcasting world right now and I’m in the entertainment industry and I’m loving it. I’m the only girl in a family of 3and I got 2 elder brothers. I’m more of a reserved person but when it comes to my job, when it comes to presenting I’m a totally different character. I’m all bubbling and talking even more and yes basically that’s me.

Q. Did you know that you were going to here by this time?
I never thought that I’m going to be here by this time you know. It actually hit me by surprise, of cause I did attend auditions when I started presenting that is like 7 years back but I never thought that I would still continue to be in the broadcasting industry. It was that kind of thing that I thought I was just doing it for fun because I was really really young when I started because was only at the age of 15.  So I just thought I’m just doing it for fun and most probably I’m going to take up another career that is after I finish my A`s or after I finish my degree in whatever that I’m going to study but I never thought that this time around I will be actually here and especially with the fact that where I am right now I’m inspiring a lot of youths a lot of young girls. I am on a stage and point in my life where a lot of people look up to me so it’s something that I never dreamt I will be actually doing right now, but I would like to say that it’s something really exciting especially with the fact that I’m really passionate about it
 
Q. What inspired you to choose this career path?
Well presenting is something that I have always loved. I have always being passionate about it ever since I was little girl and I always looked up to my aunt. My aunt being Prisca Utete who is one of zbc main correspondences and she has always inspired me. So ever since I was a young girl I have always wanted to be in the broadcasting industry and I have always liked it so that is why I choose this career path.

Q. If you could stand up for something what would it be
Well if I could really stand up for one thing that will be to really help all the child headed families that we have all across Africa because most policies only tend to focus on women and children and yet we have child headed families that is those who don’t have parents, who don’t even have mothers who actually take care of them. So yes that will be child headed families. Something needs to done in relation to helping them you know with their upkeep if it means with their school fees or funding in relation to clothing, food u know whatever is necessary that they need and that will be to stand up for child headed families that we have in Africa.

Q. Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?
Well on the next 5 years most probably I’m going to be having my very own media house because I have always wanted to produce my very own media house, because I have always wanted to produce my very own talk show and yes that’s means I want to remain in the broadcasting industry producing my own shows and presenting at the same time. So guess I’m going to be producing my own shows soon (laughs).
 
Q. Tell us one thing we don’t know about you
One thing that a lot of people really don’t know about me is that I love cooking. I actually enjoy being in the kitchen most of the time helping my mum dong different dishes. I really love inventing new recipes in the kitchen. A lot of people think that I’m that kind of girl who wouldn’t cook in the kitchen but I’m actually a good cook, I’m not that bad, but I love inventing new recipes in the kitchen.

Q. What do you do to keep you level headed?
Well what I always make sure that I do to stay level headed when it comes to presenting is that as a person you have to be knowing where you are going. Know your aims and goals, your mission. What you aiming at and what you really  want to be in life and never let success get to your head and that really help me a lot to be always be level headed in my career and my life so yes that helps me a lot.
 
Q. What are your top 5 habits?

MAKE UP LOVER
I constantly click to make up things be it lip stain, mascara, lip-gloss obviously make up has to be one of a girl best friends a yes I really love it and I constantly check out the latest trending in makeup and what’s on, what’s good you know what’s bad and yes I always make sure that I follow tutorials on different social network platforms be it on YouTube, be it international videos and local videos. I really love makeup yes I want to say I’m a really really great make-up artist but yes might just get there it’s not like it’s going to be something that’s going to be branching from my main career that is presenting but I could see myself one day with a make-up studio doing people`s make up and stuff. I really love it, even my friends and family know that if they want to buy make up stuff they also get some advice from me, I’m like their make-up therapist.

PROACTIVE PERSON
The 4th habit is that Ito like say I’m a proactive person. That means that I’m not a person who would wait for an opportunity to knock at my door and say it came locating me, well actually I’m the locator. I always try to create new opportunities for myself and I always make sure that I go out there and grab my destiny by the horns you know I never wait for opportunities to locate me. I’m a self-determined person so I always make sure that what I feel is good for me or what I feel is going to change my life for the better and for the positive I actually do it with determination u know that resulting in success and yes I’m a proactive person.

ALWAYS LEARNING NEW THINGS

It is very important and very essential in anyone`s life to make sure that willing to do new things. Personally this allows me to be constantly learning and it gives me the room for self-growth and whatever situation that is presented in my life you know it’s never difficult to tackle. So I love learning new things so always learning for me is one of my top 3 habits actually in my top 5 habits.

TIME MANAGEMENT

The second of my top 5 will be time management, constantly I make sure that I know my schedule and I manage my time very well especially with the fact that right now I’m studying, I’m going to school and at the same time I’m going to work. I make sure that I know what I’m supposed to be doing, where I’m supposed to be at so that I avoid any clashes in my time table, any clashes in my schedule. I make sure that I always plan maybe a day or a week a before you know it there is something that is supposed to be happening or if there is an event that I’m supposed to be attending, if there is a show that I’m supposed to be recording, if there is an exam that I’m supposed to be having. I always make sure that I manage my time if its school time its school time and work time is work time, so time management will be my number 2 of my top 5 habits.

RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
The 1st one of my top 5 habits is I always make sure that I know what is going on like the current news be it celebrity gossip, be it politics whatever, Because as a presenter you need to what is happening especially with all the presenting you know and as for me I actually do live television shows and you need to know what is happening around so that your viewers get to know new information every day and it actually captures your audience attention and mind you know. You need to know what is happening so always make sure I do my research, know what is trending, know what’s not trending, know the latest gossip, and know the latest news all the time that is really part of me and important.

No comments:

Post a Comment